Our Regular Venues
With a history as jam-packed with fires, wars and further misadventure as London's, it is a wonder that our capital has any historic buildings left! But this is a city with some of the most beautiful and awe-inspiring architecture in the world — and you get to listen to concerts inside!
Take a stroll below to see some of the amazing places Brandenburg presents concerts — and then come along and join us!
Trafalgar Square, London WC2N 4JH
Overlooking Trafalgar Square, St Martin's lies at the geographical, artistic and spiritual centre of the Brandenburg Choral Festival of London's Spring and Autumn Series.
The Brandenburg orchestras have enjoyed performing many concerts in its superb acoustic over the years here and the recent refurbishment has transformed it into a wonderful venue for concerts.
St Martin's is also home to the Café in the Crypt, with its fabulous Wednesday night Jazz Series.
St Bartholomew the Great
West Smithfield, London EC1A 9DS
The Priory Church of St Bartholomew the Great was founded in 1123 as part of an Augustinian monastery. The Priory was dissolved in 1539 by Henry VIII and the nave demolished, but choir and sanctuary were preserved for parish use. Several parts of the building have been damaged or destroyed through the centuries until restoration began in the 1860s under Sir Aston Webb, and on into the twentieth century. The church contains a number of works by notable artists, including a remarkable gilded statue of St Bartholomew by Damien Hirst entitled Exquisite Pain.
St Bartholomew the Less
West Smithfield, London EC1A 7BE
The Hospital Church of St Bartholomew the Less lies within the ancient hospital precincts. The earliest hospital chapel, the Chapel of the Holy Cross, was founded in 1123 but moved to the present site in 1184. As a religious establishment, the hospital was dissolved by Henry VIII, but then re-founded by him in 1547 as an Anglican parish church for the hospital. The entrance, tower and vestry date from the fifteenth century, and the bells within the tower hang on an original medieval bell frame (believed to be the oldest in the City). In 1793 George Dance the Younger created a new octagonal interior within the original chapel shell, lit by high lunette windows above the old walls. Dance's wooden structure rotted, but in 1823 was recreated in stone with an iron ceiling. The church suffered bomb damage during the Blitz, but reopened in 1957. The 1950s stained glass windows were designed by Hugh Easton, featuring doctors and nurses, with particular dedications to those lost in WWII.
Bishopsgate, London EC2M 3TL
Christian worship is thought to have been offered on the site of St Botolph’s since Roman times. Although the church survived the Great Fire of London (1666), it had by the early eighteenth century fallen into disrepair and the decision was made to build a new church. The old church was demolished in 1725, and the present church, the fourth on this site, was completed in 1729 to the designs of James Gould, under the supervision of George Dance. It is aisled and galleried in the classic style, and is unique among the City churches in having its tower at the East End, with the chancel underneath.
Having survived the Great Fire and World War II with only the loss of one window, on 24 April 1993 the church was damaged by the IRA bomb in Bishopsgate. After three and a half years of extensive restoration, the church and its records were returned to their former glory, including a new stained glass window commissioned by the Worshipful Company of Bowyers.
The Cheshire Cheese Pub
5 Little Essex Street, Temple WC2R 3LD
The charmingly quirky Cheshire Cheese is tucked away on Little Essex Street, near the Royal Courts of Justice and St Clements Church. Our Fringe concerts take place in the atmospheric upstairs room of this tudor style public house. Landlords Joe and Mo are on hand to serve you in the heart of the Capital's legal quarter.
St Clement Danes
Strand, London WC2R 1DH
St Clement Danes is situated outside the Royal Courts of Justice on the Strand. It is known as one of the two 'Island Churches', the other being St Mary-le-Strand. The current building was completed in 1682 by Sir Christopher Wren although it was almost destroyed in a bombing raid during the London Blitz of 10 May 1941. The outer walls, the tower and Gibbs's steeple, survived the bombing, but the interior was gutted by fire. Following an appeal for funds by the Royal Air Force, the church was completely restored and was re-consecrated on 19 October 1958 to become the Central Church of the Royal Air Force. The church is sometimes claimed to be the one featured in the nursery rhyme Oranges and Lemons and the bells do indeed play that tune.
1 Maiden Lane, London WC2E 7NB
The Parish of Maiden Lane was founded in 1873, and the church designed by Frederick Hyde Pownall. Often referred to as the 'hidden gem' of the West End, this was the first church dedicated to the Blessed Sacrament after the Reformation. The famous hymns Sweet Sacrament Divine and O Sacred Heart were written by parish priest Fr. Francis Stanfield (1835-1914).
St Giles-in-the Fields
60 St Giles High Street, London WC2H 8LG
St Giles-in-the-Fields Church is a Grade I listed building. Consecrated in 1733, the present church was designed by Henry Flitcroft, a protegee of Lord Burlington who was later responsible for the rebuilding of Woburn Abbey in Bedfordshire and Wimpole Hall in Cambridgeshire. Its position at one of the great crossroads of London has given St Giles much of its character and indelibly shaped its history — it has long been a place of ‘entrance and exit’, whether for those arriving in the capital for the great medieval fairs of the city of London, for the condemned men and women making their way west to their executions at Tyburn or, more prosaically, for the thousands of tourists who will soon pour into London from the new Crossrail station beneath St Giles Circus.
Grange Wellington Hotel
71 Vincent Square, London SW1P 2PA
In 1828 the Duke of Wellington, victor of the Battle of Waterloo and then Prime Minister, chaired a public meeting which led to the launch of King's College London. The College was granted a royal charter by King George IV a year later, and eventually became a place of theological study in 1846, as a dedicated Halls of Residence for training Church of England clergy. In 1923 an additional wing was added to the West side of the building, which included The Chapel. The Wellington Suite, once known as the Refectory, still contains the religious coat of arms. In 2003 the buildings were acquired by Grange Hotels. The Festival uses both The Chapel and The Wellington Suite as innovative performance spaces.
Holy Trinity Church
Prince Consort Road, London SW7 2BA
Holy Trinity church began its history as a chapel in the Knightsbridge area, attached to a leper hospital founded by Westminster Abbey, who to this day are patrons of Holy Trinity. The chapel was rebuilt in 1629, 1699, renovated in 1789 and rebuilt again in 1861. In 1901 it was demolished and a new church was erected in Prince Consort Road, to the designs of G. F. Bodley.
Holy Trinity was a late addition to the churches in Kensington; in 1842 there were only three churches in the area but over the next 35 years, fourteen new parishes were established, the design and building of which involved many of the best Victorian ecclesiastical architects of the day. When the site for Holy Trinity was found it was just in Kensington and the new church was planned as Holy Trinity South Kensington. It still carries this title even though by 1901 the land had been ceded to Westminster in exchange for Kensington Palace, which at Queen Victoria’s behest had been moved from Westminster to Kensington.
Horse & Stables
122–124 Westminster Bridge Road, London SE1 7RW
A stone’s throw from Waterloo, this family run pub and hostel is a traditional pub with a twist… Recently renovated, our concerts will take place in the decadent upstairs function room.
St Katharine Cree
86 Leadenhall St, London EC3A 3BP
Now known as the Guild Church to Finance, Commerce and Industry, the present building dates from 1630, although the tower dates from 1504 and was part of the previous church on the site, which itself originally formed part of the mediaeval Priory of the Holy Trinity (1108). Its imposing Jacobean architecture is unique in London. The church is Grade I listed, having survived the Great Fire of 1666, the Second World War (with some damage to the roof) and the Baltic Exchange bomb of 1992, which blew out the central part of the 17th-century east window. Handel and Purcell are part of the church’s history as both played on the organ, which still retains some of its outstanding 17th-century pipework.
Cheapside, London EC2V 6AU
St Mary-le-Bow is in the heart of the City of London - not in Bow, East London. The name refers to an architectural feature of the crypt. The church is home to the famous Bow Bells, which called Dick Whittington back to London from Highgate Hill in 1392 to become Lord Mayor. A 'True Cockney' is said to be born within the sound of the bells - and as Highgate Hill is five miles from the church, many may have made that claim. The Bells rang the curfew at 9 o'clock each evening from 1469 to 1876. This also signalled the end of an apprentice's working day. The tower and bells were destroyed by the Great Fire in 1666. Sir Christopher Wren completed the new church in 1683. They were destroyed again in May 1941, and the tower now contains a new peal of twelve bells, which were rung for the first time in 1961.
St Paul's Covent Garden
Bedford Street, London WC2E 9ED
Located in the heart of the West End overlooking Covent Garden piazza, St Paul's Church is affectionately known as 'The Actors' Church', due to a long association with the theatre community. Designed by Inigo Jones in 1633, this beautiful church often serves as a theatre and concert venue. Its award-winning courtyard garden is a haven of tranquility in the busy West End.
The Queen's Chapel of the Savoy
Savoy Hill, Strand, London WC2R 0DA
The Chapel belongs to Her Majesty The Queen in Her Right as Duke of Lancaster. It is a 'free' chapel or 'peculiar' not falling within any bishop's jurisdiction, but remaining firmly within the Church of England. It is the last surviving building of a hospital founded by Henry VII for homeless people in 1512. It is a beautiful, intimate space for a concert with a fine acoustic and a splendid Walker organ.
Holborn Viaduct, London EC1A 2DQ
St Sepulchre is the largest parish church in the City of London, with a history dating back to 1137. It was rebuilt in 1450, only to suffer in the Great Fire of 1666. It shell was rebuilt by Wren's masons in 1670-71. Situated near to the Old Bailey and Newgate Prison, St Sepulchre's shares some pretty gruesome history. The Execution Bell - a hand bell on display in the church - was rung by the St Sepulchre's bellman at midnight of an execution day. More happily, in the twentieth century, St Sepulchre's has become known as the 'National Musicians' Church'. A young Henry Wood learned to play the organ there, and was appointed Assistant Organist aged 14. In 1944 his ashes were laid to rest in what is now called 'The Musicians' Chapel'.
St Stephen’s Gloucester Road
Gloucester Road and Southwell Gardens, London SW7 4RL
St Stephen’s Church is a Grade II* listed Anglican church in South Kensington’s tourist and museum district, and for nearly 150 years it has served the needs of the local community and visitors from all over the world. The church was built in 1867, and is one of the best remaining churches by the 'rogue' Victorian architect Joseph Peacock. St Stephen’s was the parish of poet T.S. Eliot, and he served as Church Warden from 1934 to 1959.
79 Endell Street, London WC2H 9DY
Rooted in the Swiss reformation of the sixteenth century, the Swiss Church in London is a truly inclusive church. It was established in 1762 by a group of expatriate Swiss, originally on a site in Soho. The current church - a beautiful Grade II listed building - dates from 1855. Despite a catastrophic fir in 1930 and bomb damage during the was, the church was rebuilt, and continues as a centre for the Swiss community, enjoying its own musical tradition, and its support of contemporary arts.
The Temple Church
Temple, London EC4Y 7BB
Temple Church was built in the late twelfth century church by the Knights Templar as their English headquarters. In modern times two Inns of Court (Inner Temple and Middle Temple) both use the church. It is famous for its effigy tombs, and for being a round church. It was heavily damaged during the Second World War, but has been largely restored.
The church was featured in the controversial popular novel The Da Vinci Code - and also used as a location in the movie of the book. The release of doves in the round church in the film relate to the recording of 'O for the wings of a dove' by Ernest Lough - the most famous boy soprano to come from Temple Church.
St Anne & St Agnes Church, Gresham St, London EC2V 7BX
The Church of St Anne & St Agnes on Gresham Street was built by Sir Christopher Wren after the Fire of London, but severely damaged during World War II. After major rebuilding it was reconsecrated in 1966 and became home to the Lutheran congregation, with a great support of musical performance. In June 2013 the Lutherans handed over the church to the Voces Cantabiles Music Foundation.
National Portrait Gallery
St Martin's Place, London WC2H 0HE
Founded in 1856, the National Portrait Gallery houses the world’s largest collection of personalities and faces, from the late Middle Ages to the present day. Visitors can come face to face with the people who have shaped British history and culture from kings and queens to musicians and film stars.
Every Friday at 18.30 the Gallery hosts a wide variety of free live music performances, ranging from chamber and folk music to jazz and brand new compositions.
St James Theatre
12 Palace Street, London SW1E 5JA
Opened in mid-September 2012, the St. James Theatre is the first newly built theatre in Central London for thirty years. It is built on the site of the former Westminster Theatre, in the heart of Victoria. With a contemporary auditorium seating 312 and a 100-seat studio, the St. James Theatre offers high quality theatre of great variety, embracing drama and comedy, new works and classic revivals, jazz, cabaret and classical music. It is a warm, intimate space with excellent acoustics ideal for live music. The St. James Theatre also houses a brasserie and lobby bar.
St John's Waterloo
Waterloo Road, London SE1 8TY
St John's Waterloo was designed by Francis Octavius Bedford and built in 1824 to celebrate the victory of the Napoleonic Wars. The church was firebombed in 1940 and much of the interior was destroyed. It was restored and reopened in 1951, serving as the parish church for the Festival of Britain on the South Bank nearby.